Six Schochor, Federico and Staton, P.A. Partners Recognized as 2020 Super Lawyers®
The skilled and knowledgeable attorneys of Schochor, Federico and Staton, P.A. are deeply committed to providing medical malpractice plaintiffs with the highest quality of legal representation. Since our opening day in 1984, we have recovered more than one billion dollars for our clients. Our award-winning attorneys have earned a wide range of distinctions from prestigious organizations such as Best Lawyers, Martindale-Hubbell, and – once again – the national attorney rating agency, Super Lawyers®.
This distinguished annual award is bestowed on only five percent of attorneys nationwide in 2020. We are pleased to announce that six of our highly respected partners and one of our accomplished associates have been included on this prominent list in 2020:
- Jonathan Schochor, a founder and senior managing partner of our firm, was recently recognized as one of the Top 100 Litigation Lawyers in the State of Maryland by the American Society of Legal Advocates. He has also achieved recognition from many other prestigious organizations, including being named Trial Lawyer of the Year by the Maryland Association of Justice as well as the 2016 Lawyer of the Year for plaintiffs’ medical malpractice by Best Lawyers in America®. Mr. Schochor also led the Class Action litigation involving Nikita Levy, M.D., a gynecologist who sexually abused his patients. The case resulted in a $190 million settlement purported to be the largest single perpetrator, sexual assault settlement in U.S. history at that time.
- Philip C. Federico, a senior partner with Schochor, Federico and Staton, P.A., is one of our distinguished founders. Among his numerous awards and recognitions, he has been named a Maryland Super Lawyer™ Top 100 Lawyers every year since 2012, and has been designated as one of the Top 100 Attorneys in Maryland™ every year since 2010.
- Kerry D. Staton is a founding partner of Schochor, Federico and Staton, P.A. whose unyielding dedication to medical malpractice plaintiffs has resulted in numerous recognitions. In addition to receiving the Maryland Super Lawyers® Top 100 Lawyers award every year since 2012, he has also been elected as a Fellow of the American College of Trial Lawyers, an honor that is only bestowed upon the top 1% of lawyers in each state. Mr. Staton has been recognized as Lawyer of the Year® for plaintiffs’ medical malpractice in Baltimore twice, in 2013 and 2018 by Best Lawyers In America®, an organization which has recognized him annually since 2008.
- James D. Cardea, a partner with Schochor, Federico and Staton, P.A., has been selected for inclusion in the Best Lawyers in America™ since 2011. Mr. Cardea has also been recognized as one of the Top 100 Trial Lawyers in Maryland™ by The American Trial Lawyers Association and a Top 100 Litigation Lawyer in the State of Maryland by the American Society of Legal Advocates. In 2018 and 2019, Mr. Cardea was included as one of the 10 Best Attorneys for Maryland by the American Institute of Personal Injury Attorneys.
- Scott P. Kurlander, a partner with Schochor, Federico and Staton, P.A., is widely respected for his knowledge of medical malpractice. His numerous accolades include being named to the Best Lawyers in America™ since 2011. He has been a Maryland Super Lawyer every year since 2009 and has been a member of the invitation only Million Dollar Advocates Forum and the MultiMillion Dollar Advocates Forum. He is a member of the Board of Governors of the Maryland Association of Justice. Mr. Kurlander is frequently asked to deliver presentations to a variety of audiences, including lawyers, paralegals, medical students and various physician groups. He recently taught a class on medical malpractice for all judges in the State of Maryland at the Judicial College of Maryland. Mr. Kurlander volunteers his time in numerous professional organizations and committees, including Peer Review for the Attorney Grievance Commission of Maryland, the Judicial Evaluation Committee for the Baltimore City Bar Association and the MAJ Legislative Committee amongst others.
- Jonathan E. Goldberg: A native of Baltimore, Jonathan E. Goldberg is a Schochor, Federico and Staton, P.A. partner who has served as the co-chair of the Medical Malpractice Subcommittee of the Health Law Section of the American Bar Association. He has given several lectures and presentations in the areas of medical malpractice issues throughout the state of Maryland. Prior to representing clients injured due to medical negligence, Mr. Goldberg spent approximately 14 years defending health care providers in medical malpractice lawsuits.
- Aubrey Wray Fitch, IV is an Associate who was designated a Rising Star by Super Lawyers®, a distinction that only 2.5 percent of Maryland attorneys achieve every year. Mr. Fitch earned his Juris Doctor from The George Washington University Law School in 2011 with high honors. He is an experienced litigator who has also presented oral argument before the Court of Special Appeals of Maryland.
The Super Lawyer® selection process
The annual Super Lawyers® list results from months of peer reviews and extensive independent research. The selection process begins with nominations from peers and other legal professionals. The Super Lawyers® research team then evaluates each nominee using 12 indicators of professional achievement. To qualify as a Rising Star, a candidate must be 40 years old or younger, or in practice for ten years or less.
Once the pool of nominees is narrowed, a blue-ribbon peer review is conducted to determine who will be chosen as Super Lawyers®. Only about five percent of all attorneys ever receive this reputable designation, and we are proud that they are with our firm.
Fighting for medical malpractice plaintiffs across Washington DC, Maryland and Baltimore
The award-winning attorneys of Schochor, Federico and Staton, P.A., advocate for people injured by medical malpractice. We are proud that our peers have chosen to acknowledge the efforts of our partners. We appreciate the knowledge and skill of these seven attorneys and congratulate each of them for this prestigious recognition.
For more information about Schochor, Federico and Staton, P.A. or the Super Lawyers® selection process, call our office at 410-234-1000.