Experienced Opioid Abuse Lawyers Pursue Damages on behalf of Governmental Entities
Decisive Legal Representation—We Hold Responsible Parties Liable For The Costs Of The Opioid Epidemic
In the headlines and in the hallways of hospitals, opioid drugs are taking their toll on America.
According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, more than 115 people die each day as a result of opioid overdose. Used as pain-relievers, opioids block pain pathways in the body to reduce the sensation of pain and increase feelings of relaxation and pleasure. Historically, opioid medication is used for acute and post-operative pain, and pain related to cancer and end of life. The promotion and marketing of opioid prescription by manufacturers, wholesalers, and healthcare providers has contributed to the waves of epidemic opioid addiction now covering the US.
With a distinguished track record of legal success pursuing responsible individuals and organizations in medical malpractice and class action litigation, Schochor, Federico & Staton, P.A. is strongly qualified to investigate and aggressively pursue compensation and other relief for states, counties and cities ravaged by the impact of addictive drugs.
Identifying The Parties Responsible For The Damage Of Opioid Addiction
The National Institutes of Health (NIH) describes the 1990’s as the starting point for the opioid epidemic in the US. Opioid medications were promoted as safe and non-addictive pain relief by pharmaceutical manufacturers and distributors who marketed the medications to healthcare providers.
The resulting coast-to-coast opioid crises has left few families and communities untouched by tragedy. Just some of the impacts of addiction are:
- Devastating loss of life from overdose of prescription opioids, heroin, and synthetic opioids like fentanyl
- Increasing numbers of babies born already addicted to opioids, or who suffer abuse in the home from parents who are suffering from opioid addiction
- Rapidly escalating national medical expenses related to addiction treatment, care of persons injured or infected through opioid abuse, and prevention programs
Manufacturers and distributors of opioid pharmaceuticals are the starting point for supplying and driving opioid pain-relievers into the hands and bodies of patients who may not have needed powerfully addictive medications. Seeking to optimize their profit share, manufacturers engaged in promotional practices that included:
- Amplifying the health benefits of long-term use of opioids for common conditions involving chronic pain
- Creating outreach campaigns through professional societies, scientific articles, and sponsoring medical conferences to advance the idea that opioid users were not at great risk of addiction
The companies that distributed pharmaceuticals engaged in activities such as:
- Wholesale opioid distributors failed to develop processes and best practices as statutorily required to investigate, identify, and report drug diversion
- These same distributors neglected or failed to notify US Drug Enforcement agencies concerning orders of opioids that indicated drug diversion
From the newborn to the elderly, opioid addiction is harmful and potentially life threatening. Our law firm is committed to exposing the actions of those who promote and provide dangerous drugs to vulnerable patients.
Skilled Legal Representation Proving Liability In Cases On Behalf Of Governmental Entities
Communities across the US continue to suffer extensive costs and other damages due to the promotional practices, regulatory non-compliance and greed demonstrated by pharmaceutical and associated companies at the root of the opioid epidemic.
With more than three decades achieving outstanding results for our clients, Schochor, Federico and Staton, P.A. is committed to bringing responsible parties to the table, or the courtroom, to pay for the damage wrought by the intentional promotion and distribution of addictive drugs.
We currently represent 40 entities between Florida and South Carolina to achieve justice, which include the following:
- Marion, FL
- Manatee, FL
- Hamilton, FL
- Taylor, FL
- Suwanee, FL
- South Florida Behavior Health Network
- City of Palm Bay, FL
- Richland, SC
- City of Chester, SC
- City of Orangeburg
- Gilchrist, FL
- Dixie, FL
- City of Georgetown, SC
- St. Johns County, FL
- Bradford County, FL
- Clay County, FL
- Lake County, FL
- St. Lucie County, FL
- Seminole County, FL
- Union County, FL
- Orange County, FL
- City of Daytona Beach, FL
- City of Daytona Beach Shores, FL
- City of Deltona, FL
- City of Florida City, FL
- City of Ft. Pierce, FL
- City of Oviedo, FL
- City of Port St. Lucie, FL
- City of St. Augustine, FL
- City of Sanford, FL
- City of Sweetwater, FL
- Miami Dade School Board, FL
- West Volusia Health Authority, FL
- Charleston County, SC
Putnam County, FL
City of Apopka, FL
City of Coral Springs, FL
City of Homestead, FL
City of Ocala, FL
City of Ocoee, FL
City of Palatka, FL
Town of Eatonville, FL
Highly Qualified Injury Attorneys Are Dedicated To Achieving Compensation For Injured Parties
Schochor, Federico and Staton, P.A. is a trusted injury law firm serving those injured by the neglect, mistake, or intent of others. We have recovered more than $1 billion in compensation for our clients.
Listed in the Bar Register for Preeminent Lawyers and awarded the highest rating from legal ranking agency, Martindale-Hubbell, we fight to ensure justice is served and appropriate relief and remedies are achieved on behalf of our clients.
From offices in Washington, D.C. and Baltimore, Maryland, we serve local clients and those across the nation. Contact us today or call 410-234-1000 to schedule a free consultation to discuss your case.