CANDOR’s Effects on Medical Malpractice
Every year, thousands of patients fall victim to medical malpractice. They must then endure the dismissive actions of medical professionals who refuse to admit their fault. A new initiative seeks to improve the medical profession’s response to patient injuries. Communication and Optimal Resolution (CANDOR) encourages timely communication and resolution, presumptively leading to fewer medical malpractice claims. The Baltimore and Washington DC medical malpractice attorneys of Schochor, Federico and Staton, P.A. recognize the value of CANDOR, but want patients to understand the importance of protecting their interests and asserting their rights.
What is CANDOR
CANDOR is a process to guide healthcare professionals in their response to medical incidents that cause patient injury. It counters the traditional response to these events, which is to automatically deny responsibility and defend the actions of the medical provider. Instead, CANDOR seeks to provide a more patient-centered approach that promotes ongoing communication and a proactive pursuit of a mutually beneficial resolution. The CANDOR process includes the following elements:
- Immediate emotional aid to the patient and family. The CANDOR process involves open communication with the patient and family about the injury-causing event.
- Maintain ongoing communications. Under the CANDOR model, the medical professional continues communicating with the patient and family to work toward a resolution.
- Learn to prevent similar adverse events. By recognizing the causation of the event, the medical professional can seek ways to prevent mistakes from happening in the future
- Explain how care will be safer for future patients. Once these prevention methods are identified, they should be openly shared with the injured party to exemplify how future patients will be handled in a more appropriate manner.
The Effect of CANDOR on Medical Malpractice
Among medical facilities that have implemented CANDOR, the frequency of medical malpractice claims and lawsuits reduced by approximately half, according to the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. While these statistics suggest that CANDOR provides a viable alternative to medical malpractice claims, patients should be aware of the following risks:
- CANDOR promotes a situation where the healthcare facility initiates an investigation of the incident. The risk is that the practitioner may not undertake a fully comprehensive review, or provide the patient with a thorough picture of what caused the injury. It is virtually impossible to make an informed decision about compensation when you do not have all relevant information.
- Patients should secure representation from an experienced medical malpractice attorney when exploring a resolution with the medical facility or practitioner. A knowledgeable Maryland and Washington DC medical malpractice lawyer provides guidance about adequate compensation and preserving your legal rights.
Experienced attorneys seek compensation for hospital discharge injuries
If you or a family member was injured by medical malpractice, secure representation from the attorneys of Schochor, Federico and Staton, P.A. With offices in Washington DC and Baltimore, Maryland, we are conveniently located and ready to serve your legal needs. Contact our office at 410-234-1000 for a consultation.